The congregation had already gathered as Enoch approached. They were beings of light with joyful expressions directed at him. At last it was his turn. He knelt down, and the Lord, with kindness and a radiance of love, placed his hands upon his head. Enoch closed his eyes in reverence, listening to every word that was uttered in the blessing that his Master was bestowing upon him. One of the most important moments in his preparation for the life to come was taking place – that of his patriarchal blessing. It would again be spoken to him while on the earth by the mouth of one of the Master’s servants.
“You will lead many, and many will follow at the sound of your voice,” the Master said. “You will overcome many trials in your life. Let the Holy Scriptures be your guide. The light of Christ will be with you. If you are worthy, you will find your mate and have many children. You will raise them in righteousness and your seed will glorify your Father in Heaven. Pray always. Seek aid from your Father constantly. You will not be alone. You will be of the Tribe of Ephraim, of the house of Israel. Your name will be Nathan.”
The Master removed his hands from his younger brother’s head. He took his hand in his and raised him up and hugged him. The younger brother had a glint in his eye as he repeated the name that will be his during his earthly life. “Nathan.”
The Master looked at him intently. “Remember what I said.” He spoke softly, but firmly. “Only you can break this promise.”
“I will live up to everything you expect of me,” he said with the utmost surety in his voice, “and more.” The other angels gathered around and sang out for joy. Some of his closest friends approached him and congratulated him.
“Nathan,” said one, pondering over the name as he spoke it, “That sounds better than ‘Dale’.”
“The names we will have on Earth sound somewhat odd,” said Gregory.
“I like mine,” said Christopher,
“You are named after the Savior,” Gregory added.
“These names are what we will be known by when we are there. Gabriel is going to be called ‘Noah’.” Nathan walked over to the edge of the Kingdom and gazed down at the small globe still in creation. It was mostly molten rock. He stared at it and thought about what his turn would be like. He wondered what really lay before him in his path to Eternity. The silent sphere spun ceaselessly. He watched as angels hurried to and fro, carrying out the Lord’s orders. They labored day and night to prepare this plane for the greatest plan to ever be put in operation. Emotion welled up inside him. They were preparing it for him.
“That is where we will be,” he said, his mind obviously in thoughts as far distant the Earth itself. Gregory simply nodded his head in agreement. They all looked forward to their turn to prove themselves worthy to return to the Father. They all longed for the experience of having a physical body. They sought to be like Father in every way, immortal and Eternal. He glanced at his future residency once more, and then turned back to the swarms of angels, and his present home.
A familiar face approached him with a smile. An excited look dominated the face. He spoke before Nathan had even the chance to smile back. “David!” he said.
“What?” asked Nathan.
“My name is David… or it will be; and the Savior said that you will be my brother.” His excitement could hardly be contained. With the time so close at hand, everyone was excited.
“You will be my earthly brother?” Nathan asked, with laughter breaking forth and mingling with his words. He had called this spirit friend for quite some time, but neither had suspected that they would become earthly brothers once there.
“Yes. You will be my elder brother. You are going to be the one to share the gospel with me. Jesus said so. And you better be quick with it,” he said jokingly. “I will need it as soon as I get there.”
“You know I will, brother,” he said hugging his neck. “I will be there for you, always.” They continued together, laughing and speaking of what their life together will be like. Everything seemed rather easy to map out. They now were certain that they would have a companion more or less as soon as they got there.
They reached the congregation and split up. Nathan’s eyes scanned the throng intently, searching. Beings without number spanned out before him as stars in the heavens. Thousands and millions, so many in number that even his immortal mind found it difficult to comprehend. “Such work must needs be accomplished,” he said to himself.
At last, his eyes rested upon the individual that he sought. She looked up and smiled at his approach. She moved to greet him and they embraced. The countless beings about them seemed to melt away along with heaven, and all creation too, during that embrace. They could have been all of creation in that moment. They finally looked each other in the eyes.
“My angel,” he said at last. “Most beautiful and fair above all other angels.” She smiled again.
“Well,” she said, “did you receive your blessing?”
“Yes.”
“And what did it say?” He hesitated in speech, but shot forth a slight grin. “You are going to be difficult now?!” she asked, growing impatient, “You must tell me.”
“Or…”
“Or I will skin you before you have any skin!” He laughed and hugged her. He told her of the things that were said in his blessing and of the promises that were his if he lived up to his potential.
“He spoke of children,” he said.
“Our children.” She repeated. “I am promised many children and a long life.”
“I, too. We will share that life, Josephine,” he said, stroking her hair. She smiled and leaned her head against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and held her.
“What more could we ask for?” she said, losing herself in his arms. “What more?”
* * *
“Josephine, what troublest thou?” came the familiar voice of Jesus.
“I am not sure what life will be like down there. Things are so wonderful here. We all have each other.” She looked at Jesus and sighed. He put his arm around her.
“You are thinking about your family,” he said. “They will join you down there when you go.”
“What if something goes wrong?” she asked, “What if I do not live up to everything that is expected of me? There are so many ways to go wrong and so many dangers there. I know it will be difficult.”
“As long as you remain worthy, they will be with you for eternity.”
“How can I be sure that I will remain worthy once I am there?” she asked.
“Do you have faith in me, Josephine?” asked the Savior.
“Yes,” she replied.
“I have faith in you also. I have set the plan in motion so that all of the great ones can return. I know that you are one of them, Josephine. This plan allows for the forgiveness of mistakes, if you happen to falter. You cannot go wrong if you trust in me.” He looked her in the eyes and she felt his peace fill her.
“What happens if I do stray?” She asked, being persistent.
He smiled at that and spoke reassuringly. “Then you say you’re sorry.” She smiled back and they began to walk. “I will send you a companion to help you. You will grow together and become one.” Her mind lingered on the thought. “I think you already have someone in mind.”
“Yes.” She looked down and blushed.
“I can promise you will meet Nathan and have the opportunity to be with him. The rest is up to the two of you.” They walked to where Nathan was standing, waiting to speak with the Savior. His face brightened as he saw Josephine. “Come, Nathan,” said Jesus. Nathan looked back at Josephine as he and the Savior walked away.
Nathan listened closely to the Savior’s words as they walked and talked. He had the greatest admiration for the Master. He planned to be just like him. Jesus both warned him and comforted him.
“I know what you will face,” he said. “The words that I tell you now will still be deep inside of you when you are down there, but the veil will be over you and all of this will be forgotten. I must warn you that the Adversary will beset you unmercifully and continually. It will be difficult for you, given the weaknesses that you will have, but I have faith in you. I know that you will choose the right.”
“I will not err,” he replied. “I promise.”
“You will err. You will try and you will fail many times,” he paused, “but with faith and steadfastness, you will endure to the end. Always keep in touch with the Father and me in prayer. We will listen to you. I have never failed to hear you before, and I promise that nothing will change that when you are down there. Soon I go down. You will have the privilege of watching me. Watch closely, Nathan. Do as I do, and follow me. I will be there to lead the way so that everyone who comes after me will have a pattern to follow. I am the way.”
“I will.”
“I know. The Father has something special planned for you. Just remember to protect yourself, and remember all that I have told you. My light inside you will shine, and you will know, when you are humble, what you must do.” They walked together to where the Earth stood ready to receive its creator. Every angel appeared and encircled the two. Jesus embraced Nathan and thousands of others and turned toward the Earth.
“I love you,” he cried after his Lord and friend. Jesus turned back and looked at him with the softest of expressions.
“I love you, too,” he replied, and then continued his descent. Nathan looked down and suddenly felt empty.
He began to be lost in his thoughts again until he felt a presence behind him. He turned and beheld the wonderful eyes of the only angel who could tear him from his thoughts, Josephine. She smiled at him and instantly his mind was troubled no more. She took his hand and they walked away together to the ones that had been appointed their children. She let go of his hand to embrace another.
“Hello, my son,” she said to the spirit who was older than she was, but who the Savior had promised would be hers if she was worthy.
“Mother,” he said with a smile.
“Mother!” the others cried and gathered about her and Nathan.
“I cannot wait until I have you on Earth and can take care of you,” she said to them. “You are my children as much now as you will be then.”
“Mother,” said one, “I see the way the mothers on earth hold their children. I will love to have you hold me and sing to me.” She placed her arms around her child and sang softly. The others gathered around her to listen to her sing. She caressed their faces; their eyes shone with radiance as they gazed in loving awe at their future mother.
“Father,” said one to Nathan,” what will we do together on earth? He smiled at the question.
“Anything you want to,” he said. “We will be a family. I am not sure of everything that families do, but we will know when we get there.
“You will teach me things?” he asked.
“Yes, I will teach you everything I know. Then you will pass that knowledge down to your children. That is how it works there.” Nathan placed his hand on the angel’s shoulder. They smiled at each other. Their love for each other was matched by the peace that they felt, for they belonged to a family. The greatest of joys is to have a family. Those who followed the Adversary had forsaken their opportunity to have a family. Nathan thought of the child that would have been his, but who had fallen after the evil one. The heavens had wept over them. He was still weeping.
* * *
The heavens gathered to watch the boy on the small planet that bore the fate of all creation on his shoulders. They watched as he grew and followed his movements as he lived, learned, and served, and heard him as he prayed. So quickly he found his way into manhood and closer to his mission.
Josephine and Nathan held each other tightly as they watched their Savior enter the waters of baptism. “We will all be baptized the same way,” she said.
“Look!” he said, interrupting her, “Its him!” She looked and beheld the Adversary speaking with Jesus. “He is trying to tempt him,” Nathan said with vile contempt. “He should know that his efforts are in vain.”
“Perhaps he knows inside,” she said, “but vanity and pride cause blindness.”
“The Master of Deceit deceives himself,” he said. “He is one who no atonement can save.”
“Nathan,” called and angel from behind. They turned to him as he approached from the throne of God. “You and Josephine are needed. You are going to Earth.”
“Is it our turn already?” he asked with excitement.
“No,” he replied, “you are to minister to the Savior. He has resisted the Fallen One. He needs you.”
“Will he remember us?”
* * *
They approached where the place where the Master leaned against a rock. It was clear that his body was exhausted. The Devil waited at a distance and watched. The Master looked up at the approaching angels. He smiled as if in recognition.
“Lord,” said Nathan.
“Nathan, bear me up,” he replied.
“You do remember me!” came the joyed response as he lifted his Savior and gave support.
“How could I forget my favorite pair of angels?” he replied. They fed and talked with him for hours and all were strengthened, Jesus physically, and Josephine and Nathan spiritually.
“Sing for me, Josephine,” requested the Savior. “Nothing strengthens the soul as a song.” She began to sing and Nathan joined her, followed by Jesus. From above, a dove descended and landed on the Master. The heavens opened up and light poured forth upon the three beings who lifted their voices in song to their God.
“My beloved children,” came a voice from the sky, “In thee I am well pleased.”
* * *
“Nathan,” called an angel, “You are needed on Earth again.”
“We are needed again, my darling,” said Nathan to Josephine.
“No,” said the angel, “This time only you are called.”
“Why only me?” he asked. “Why not her?”
“The Lord requires you,” said the angel. “He has just risen. Gregory will go with you.” Nathan looked at Josephine, who looked back slightly dismayed.
“The Lord’s work comes first,” she said, finally gathering up enough conviction to mean it. “We both know.”
“I know,” he replied, “I do know. I will not be gone for long. My brother will keep you company.” He put his arms around her and kissed her. They sighed as they parted and he followed the angel with Gregory. He looked back at David and Josephine, who stood and watched them depart. He closed his eyes and then put his mind on the Lord’s task.
Nathan flew out of heaven to the tomb of Jesus. The ground shook as he landed and the guards who surrounded the tomb began to tremble. He rolled away the stone and sat on it. He spoke to the guards and commanded them, “Sleep.” They instantly fell to the ground as dead men. Gregory and he entered the tomb.
Two women entered the tomb and saw the young man, Nathan, sitting, dressed in a white robe.
“Why seek ye the living among the dead?” he asked with a confused look on his face. They knew that he was a spirit and became afraid.
“There is no need for alarm,” he said, “You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified? He is risen. He is not here. See, this is where they laid him.” He pointed to where the body had been. The cloth lay neatly folded that had covered his body. Nathan had folded the cloth. “You must go and tell the disciples and Peter that Jesus will meet you in Galilee.”
They ran out and Nathan and Gregory returned to where the Savior was.
* * *
She was waiting there when the three of them returned. Jesus was hailed by the entire host of heaven, Nathan by one, but that one was enough. He ran to her and threw his arms around her.
“Josephine.” He whispered her name as he held fast to her. “Time moves so much more slowly there.” They clenched each other as the trumpets of countless millions blew, signaling salvation for man. They stood in the midst all and rejoiced in their own way. “I do not wish to part from you again.”
* * *
“No,” we have to go together,” cried Nathan. He clenched on to Josephine, refusing to let go.
“I am sorry. It is not your turn,” the angel said.
“It has to be. We are mates. The savior said that if we were worthy, we would be together.” He spoke hastily, trying to avoid the inevitable parting. Josephine touched his face and looked into his spirit-eyes. She tried to reassure him with a smile.
“It will be alright,” she said.
“But you cannot leave now. You will be older than me,” he interrupted.
“Do you think that will matter to us?” she asked
“But you will be there all alone,” he cried.
“No. Gregory is there, and I have my family.”
“You will forget me and marry someone else,” he held her hand against his face. A sparkle of light welled up in his eye and fell, as would a tear from the eye of a mortal body. “What if we do not find each other?”
“That can’t happen,” she said. “Have faith, Nathan. With God, all things are possible.”
“Time to go,” said the angel to Josephine.
“I will miss you,” said Nathan.
“And I you, but it is only a short time,” she replied.
“It is too long. I will miss you still.” More droplets of light fell from his eyes. He embraced her spirit body. “I need you to wait for me.”
“I will be waiting for you. Hurry down.” The Earth turned on its axis far beneath them. They looked down at the lonely planet in the midst of space. She took a step toward it. Suddenly, she began to descend.
“Josephine!” he cried.
“It is okay.” She called back.
“Josephine!” he cried again as the veil closed between them and she began to fade from his view. “Josephine, I lo.. y…”
His words filtered through the veil and somewhere down on the world below, a young girl heard the sound of her name carried on the wind as if spoken by some angelic voice that echoed from a forgotten past. For an instant, her soul remembered something - a feeling. She suddenly felt lonely as if missing something. A tear came to her eye and she trembled slightly. And then, as if on the breeze, as suddenly as it had come, the feeling faded. Life went on.
And up in Heaven, an angel stared down at the tiny little ball, awaiting his turn.
March 12, 1999
Version 1.2
Awaiting Earth
The congregation had already gathered as Enoch approached. They were beings of light with joyful expressions directed at him. At last it was his turn. He knelt down, and the Lord, with kindness and a radiance of love, placed his hands upon his head. Enoch closed his eyes in reverence, listening to every word that was uttered in the blessing that his Master was bestowing upon him. One of the most important moments in his preparation for the life to come was taking place – that of his patriarchal blessing. It would again be spoken to him while on the earth by the mouth of one of the Master’s servants.
“You will lead many, and many will follow at the sound of your voice,” the Master said. “You will overcome many trials in your life. Let the Holy Scriptures be your guide. The light of Christ will be with you. If you are worthy, you will find your mate and have many children. You will raise them in righteousness and your seed will glorify your Father in Heaven. Pray always. Seek aid from your Father constantly. You will not be alone. You will be of the Tribe of Ephraim, of the house of Israel. Your name will be Joshua.”
The Master removed his hands from his younger brother’s head. He took his hand in his and raised him up and hugged him. The younger spirit had a glint in his eye as he repeated the name that will be his during his earthly life. “Joshua.”
The Master looked at him intently. “Remember what I said.” He spoke softly, but firmly. “Only you can break this promise.”
“I will live up to everything you expect of me,” he said with the utmost surety in his voice, “and more.” The other angels gathered around and sang out for joy. Some of his closest friends approached him and congratulated him.
“Joshua,” said one, pondering over the name as he spoke it, “That sounds better than ‘Dale’.”
“The names we will have on Earth sound somewhat odd,” said Gregory.
“I like mine,” said Joshua.
“You are named after the Savior,” Gregory added.
“These names are what we will be known by when we are there. The Lord has seen it all and knows what is to come. Gabriel is going to be called ‘Noah’.” Joshua walked over to the edge of the Kingdom and gazed down at the small globe still in creation. It was mostly molten rock. He stared at it and thought about what his turn would be like. He wondered what really lay before him in his path to Eternity. The silent sphere spun ceaselessly. He watched as angels hurried to and fro, carrying out the Lord’s orders. They labored day and night to prepare this plane for the greatest plan to ever be put in operation. Emotion welled up inside him. They were preparing it for him.
“That is where we will be,” he said, his mind obviously in thoughts as far distant the Earth itself. Gregory simply nodded his head in agreement. They all looked forward to their turn to prove themselves worthy to return to the Father. They all longed for the experience of having a physical body. They sought to be like Father in every way, immortal and Eternal. He glanced at his future residency once more, and then turned back to the swarms of angels, and his present home.
A familiar face approached him with a smile. An excited look dominated the face. He spoke before Joshua had even the chance to smile back. “David!” he said.
“What?” asked Joshua.
“My name is David… or it will be; and the Savior said that you will be my brother.” His excitement could hardly be contained. With the time so close at hand, everyone was excited.
“You will be my earthly brother?” Joshua asked, with laughter breaking forth and mingling with his words. He had called this spirit friend for quite some time, but neither had suspected that they would become earthly brothers once there.
“Yes. You will be my elder brother. You are going to be the one to share the gospel with me. Jesus said so. And you better be quick with it,” he said jokingly. “I will need it as soon as I get there.”
“You know I will, brother,” he said hugging his neck. “I will be there for you, always.” They continued together, laughing and speaking of what their life together will be like. Everything seemed rather easy to map out. They now were certain that they would have a companion more or less as soon as they got there.
They reached the congregation and split up. Joshua’s eyes scanned the throng intently, searching. Beings without number spanned out before him as stars in the heavens. Thousands and millions, so many in number that even his immortal mind found it difficult to comprehend. “Such work must needs be accomplished,” he said to himself.
At last, his eyes rested upon the individual that he sought. She looked up and smiled at his approach. She moved to greet him and they embraced. The countless beings about them seemed to melt away along with heaven, and all creation too, during that embrace. They could have been all of creation in that moment. They finally looked each other in the eyes.
“My angel,” he said at last. “Most beautiful and fair above all other angels.” She smiled again.
“Well,” she said, “did you receive your blessing?”
“Yes.”
“And what did it say?” He hesitated in speech, but shot forth a slight grin. “You are going to be difficult now?!” she asked, growing impatient, “You must tell me.”
“Or…”
“Or I will perish of suspense,” He laughed and hugged her. He told her of the things that were said in his blessing and of the promises that were his if he lived up to his potential.
“He spoke of children,” he said.
“Our children.” She repeated. “I am promised many children and a long life.”
“I, too. We will share that life, Josephine,” he said, stroking her hair. She smiled and leaned her head against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and held her.
“What more could we ask for?” she said, losing herself in his arms. “What more?”
* * *
“Josephine, what troublest thou?” came the familiar voice of Jesus.
“I am not sure what life will be like down there. Things are so wonderful here. We all have each other.” She looked at Jesus and sighed. He put his arm around her.
“You are thinking about your family,” he said. “They will join you down there when you go.”
“What if something goes wrong?” she asked, “What if I do not live up to everything that is expected of me? There are so many ways to go wrong and so many dangers there. I know it will be difficult.”
“As long as you remain worthy, they will be with you for eternity.”
“How can I be sure that I will remain worthy once I am there?” she asked.
“Do you have faith in me, Josephine?” asked the Savior.
“Yes,” she replied.
“I have faith in you also. I have set the plan in motion so that all of the great ones can return. I know that you are one of them, Josephine. This plan allows for the forgiveness of mistakes, if you happen to falter. You cannot go wrong if you trust in me.” He looked her in the eyes and she felt his peace fill her.
“What happens if I do stray?” She asked, being persistent.
He smiled at that and spoke reassuringly. “Then you say you’re sorry.” She smiled back and they began to walk. “I will send you a companion to help you. You will grow together and become one.” Her mind lingered on the thought. “I think you already have someone in mind.”
“Yes.” She looked down and blushed.
“I can promise you will meet Joshua and have the opportunity to be with him. The rest is up to the two of you.” They walked to where Joshua was standing, waiting to speak with the Savior. His face brightened as he saw Josephine. “Come, Johsua,” said Jesus. Joshua looked back at Josephine as he and the Savior walked away.
Joshua listened closely to the Savior’s words as they walked and talked. He had the greatest admiration for the Master. He planned to be just like him. Jesus both warned him and comforted him.
“I know what you will face,” he said. “The words that I tell you now will still be deep inside of you when you are down there, but the veil will be over you and all of this will be forgotten. I must warn you that the Adversary will beset you unmercifully and continually. It will be difficult for you, given the weaknesses that you will have, but I have faith in you. I know that you will choose the right.”
“I will not err,” he replied. “I promise.”
“You will err. You will try and you will fail many times,” he paused, “but with faith and steadfastness, you will endure to the end. Always keep in touch with the Father and me in prayer. We will listen to you. I have never failed to hear you before, and I promise that nothing will change that when you are down there. Soon I go down. You will have the privilege of watching me. Watch closely, Joshua. Do as I do, and follow me. I will be there to lead the way so that everyone who comes after me will have a pattern to follow. I am the way.”
“I will.”
“I know. The Father has something special planned for you. Just remember to protect yourself, and remember all that I have told you. My light inside you will shine, and you will know, when you are humble, what you must do.” They walked together to where the Earth stood ready to receive its creator. Every angel appeared and encircled the two. Jesus embraced Joshua and thousands of others and turned toward the Earth.
“I love you,” he cried after his Lord and friend. Jesus turned back and looked at him with the softest of expressions.
“I love you, too,” he replied, and then continued his descent. Joshua looked down and suddenly felt empty.
He began to be lost in his thoughts again until he felt a presence behind him. He turned and beheld the wonderful eyes of the only angel who could tear him from his thoughts, Josephine. She smiled at him and instantly his mind was troubled no more. She took his hand and they walked away together to the ones that had been appointed their children. She let go of his hand to embrace another.
“Hello, my son,” she said to the spirit who was older than she was, but who the Savior had promised would be hers if she was worthy.
“Mother,” he said with a smile.
“Mother!” the others cried and gathered about her and Joshua.
“I cannot wait until I have you on Earth and can take care of you,” she said to them. “You are my children as much now as you will be then.”
“Mother,” said one, “I see the way the mothers on earth hold their children. I will love to have you hold me and sing to me.” She placed her arms around her child and sang softly. The others gathered around her to listen to her sing. She caressed their faces; their eyes shone with radiance as they gazed in loving awe at their future mother.
“Father,” said one to Joshua,” what will we do together on earth? He smiled at the question.
“Anything you want to,” he said. “We will be a family. I am not sure of everything that families do, but we will know when we get there.
“You will teach me things?” he asked.
“Yes, I will teach you everything I know. Then you will pass that knowledge down to your children. That is how it works there.” Joshua placed his hand on the angel’s shoulder. They smiled at each other. Their love for each other was matched by the peace that they felt, for they belonged to a family. The greatest of joys is to have a family. Those who followed the Adversary had forsaken their opportunity to have a family. Joshua thought of the child that would have been his, but who had fallen after the evil one. The heavens had wept over them. He was still weeping.
* * *
The heavens gathered to watch the boy on the small planet that bore the fate of all creation on his shoulders. They watched as he grew and followed his movements as he lived, learned, and served, and heard him as he prayed. So quickly he found his way into manhood and closer to his mission.
Josephine and Joshua held each other tightly as they watched their Savior enter the waters of baptism. “We will all be baptized the same way,” she said.
“Look!” he said, interrupting her, “Its him!” She looked and beheld the Adversary speaking with Jesus. “He is trying to tempt him,” Joshua said with vile contempt. “He should know that his efforts are in vain.”
“Perhaps he knows inside,” she said, “but vanity and pride cause blindness.”
“The Master of Deceit deceives himself,” he said. “He is one who no atonement can save.”
“Joshua,” called and angel from behind. They turned to him as he approached from the throne of God. “You and Josephine are needed. You are going to Earth.”
“Is it our turn already?” he asked with excitement.
“No,” he replied, “you are to minister to the Savior. He has resisted the Fallen One. He needs you.”
“Will he remember us?”
* * *
They approached where the place where the Master leaned against a rock. It was clear that his body was exhausted. The Devil waited at a distance and watched. The Master looked up at the approaching angels. He smiled as if in recognition.
“Lord,” said Joshua.
“Joshua, bear me up,” he replied.
“You do remember me!” came the joyed response as he lifted his Savior and gave support.
“How could I forget my favorite pair of angels?” he replied. They fed and talked with him for hours and all were strengthened, Jesus physically, and Josephine and Joshua spiritually.
“Sing for me, Josephine,” requested the Savior. “Nothing strengthens the soul as a song.” She began to sing and Joshua joined her, followed by Jesus. From above, a dove descended and landed on the Master. The heavens opened up and light poured forth upon the three beings who lifted their voices in song to their God.
“My beloved children,” came a voice from the sky, “In thee I am well pleased.”
* * *
“Joshua,” called an angel, “You are needed on Earth again.”
“We are needed again, my darling,” said Joshua to Josephine.
“No,” said the angel, “This time only you are called.”
“Why only me?” he asked. “Why not her?”
“The Lord requires you,” said the angel. “He has just risen. Gregory will go with you.” Joshua looked at Josephine, who looked back slightly dismayed.
“The Lord’s work comes first,” she said, finally gathering up enough conviction to mean it. “We both know.”
“I know,” he replied, “I do know. I will not be gone for long. My brother will keep you company.” He put his arms around her and kissed her. They sighed as they parted and he followed the angel with Gregory. He looked back at David and Josephine, who stood and watched them depart. He closed his eyes and then put his mind on the Lord’s task.
Joshua flew out of heaven to the tomb of Jesus. The ground shook as he landed and the guards who surrounded the tomb began to tremble. He rolled away the stone and sat on it. He spoke to the guards and commanded them, “Sleep.” They instantly fell to the ground as dead men. Gregory and he entered the tomb.
Two women entered the tomb and saw the young man, Joshua, sitting, dressed in a white robe.
“Why seek ye the living among the dead?” he asked with a confused look on his face. They knew that he was a spirit and became afraid.
“There is no need for alarm,” he said, “You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified? He is risen. He is not here. See, this is where they laid him.” He pointed to where the body had been. The cloth lay neatly folded that had covered his body. Joshua had folded the cloth. “You must go and tell the disciples and Peter that Jesus will meet you in Galilee.”
They ran out and Joshua and Gregory returned to where the Savior was.
* * *
She was waiting there when the three of them returned. Jesus was hailed by the entire host of heaven, Joshua by one, but that one was enough. He ran to her and threw his arms around her.
“Josephine.” He whispered her name as he held fast to her. “Time moves so much more slowly there.” They clenched each other as the trumpets of countless millions blew, signaling salvation for man. They stood in the midst all and rejoiced in their own way. “I do not wish to part from you again.”
* * *
“No,” we have to go together,” cried Joshua. He clenched on to Josephine, refusing to let go.
“I am sorry. It is not your turn,” the angel said.
“It has to be. We are mates. The savior said that if we were worthy, we would be together.” He spoke hastily, trying to avoid the inevitable parting. Josephine touched his face and looked into his spirit-eyes. She tried to reassure him with a smile.
“It will be alright,” she said.
“But you cannot leave now. You will be older than me,” he interrupted.
“Do you think that will matter to us?” she asked
“But you will be there all alone,” he cried.
“No. Gregory is there, and I have my family.”
“You will forget me and marry someone else,” he held her hand against his face. A sparkle of light welled up in his eye and fell, as would a tear from the eye of a mortal body. “What if we do not find each other?”
“That can’t happen,” she said. “Have faith, Joshua. With God, all things are possible.”
“Time to go,” said the angel to Josephine.
“I will miss you,” said Joshua.
“And I you, but it is only a short time,” she replied.
“It is too long. I will miss you still.” More droplets of light fell from his eyes. He embraced her spirit body. “I need you to wait for me.”
“I will be waiting for you. Hurry down.” The Earth turned on its axis far beneath them. They looked down at the lonely planet in the midst of space. She took a step toward it. Suddenly, she began to descend.
“Josephine!” he cried.
“It is okay.” She called back.
“Josephine!” he cried again as the veil closed between them and she began to fade from his view. “Josephine, I lo.. y…”
His words filtered through the veil and somewhere down on the world below, a young girl heard the sound of her name carried on the wind as if spoken by some angelic voice that echoed from a forgotten past. For an instant, her soul remembered something - a feeling. She suddenly felt lonely as if missing something. A tear came to her eye and she trembled slightly. And then, as if on the breeze, as suddenly as it had come, the feeling faded. Life went on.
And up in Heaven, an angel stared down at the tiny little ball, awaiting his turn.
March 12, 1999
No comments:
Post a Comment